Alternative and reworked part 2 work

After tutor feedback and suggestions after part 2 I've decided to go back to the Visual Metaphor exercise and rework it...

- - -

Reworking the visual metaphor illustration (Broken Relationship)


Original part 2 image below:


My tutor felt that my original illustration for the visual metaphor was too "immature" in style; perhaps not powerful enough in conveying a broken relationship.  I agree with this view.  At the time I wrote that I, "wasn't sure what I think of this image."  After a longer period of reflection I think the basic problem is that it just isn't me, my style, and my artistic voice.  It doesn't have my energy.  When I look at it now, it is almost as if someone else produced it.   Yes, I learned things from doing the exercise.  And yes, I enjoyed it.  I think all these level 1 courses are sometimes about striking a balance between experimentation with new techniques/media whilst trying to gain a more-and-more secure footing into a sense of one's own artistic voice.  The image above is not particularly my voice, therefore I decided to completely rework it from scratch.

The image below is my rework.  The production style was different for me.  My tutor has encouraged me to be ever more instinctual, lateral and feed from my subconscious.  The image below was drawn in more of a 'subconscious frenzy'; I made a conscious effort to shut down my "thinking and logical brain" and lose myself in the feeling and energy of the mark-making:


Much, much better I'd say.  I've tried to keep the marks jagged and edgy to represent tension and conflict.  The figures abstracted and indistinct was a subconscious reflex.  The scene is a vague enough for the viewer to inject their narrative.  Perhaps the 2nd (female) figure is crouching almost in self-defence, whilst the taller figure dominates and suppresses the other in darker tone?

The yellow/sepia sets in the unpleasantness.  The blues representing the cold broken bonds. Flashed with a few spikes of angry red (blood even?).

I've asked a number of people about this image, and they are all talking different stories of unpleasant relationships. The direct metaphor isn't is obvious in this image, but it is certainly better at conveying a powerful and meaningful sense of broken relationship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2: Spider Diagrams

Part 3: Abstract Illustration

Part 3: Client Visuals